~ Paleo ~
Based on my posts to date I know it may seem like I spend my life eating snacks & treats, but I swear I eat real meals too! And to prove it to you I’m finally getting round to posting a dinner recipe. I made these chicken stuffed avocados one week-night for the boys and even my carb-indulgent roomie loved them! Super easy to make and I had tons of shredded chicken so we turned my side salad into lettuce wraps. Delish!
Before I tried out this recipe I had never attempted to make shredded chicken and had no idea where to start. This recipe makes it so easy that I’m already planning on hosting a cinco de mayo fiesta and making shredded chicken on mass. The concept of this meal is simple; take a few halved avocados, stuff with seasoned, shredded chicken, bake and then drizzle a creamy lime & cilantro dressing over top for the ultimate finish (sorry I failed to take a picture with the dressing because I was too concerned about eating my meal before the boys ate it for me!)
Yields: 4 servings
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1lb chicken tenderloins
- 4 avocados (I prefer avocado haas medium sized)
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3-4 small limes juiced
- 1/2 can full fat coconut milk
- In a wide base pan that comes with a lid, sautée 4 cloves of garlic with a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil over a medium heat – alternatively you can just heat garlic infused olive oil like I did using my nifty little oil infuser.
- Once the garlic is browned you can remove it leaving the garlic infused oil. Season the chicken with salt and add to the pan. Sautée each side for a few minutes until the edges have turned white and the sides are translucent.
- Cover the chicken in chicken stock (I made my own with boiling water and Todd’s original “Dirt” seasoning), stick the lid on the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F and line a baking tray with wax paper or tin foil.
- Once your chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and place in a bowl for shredding. I used two forks to shred the chicken.
- Add the spices and seasoning and mix well.
- Halve and remove the stones from 4 avocados and stuff with the seasoned, shredded chicken and bake for about 5 minutes.
- For the creamy, lime cilantro dressing, combine the coconut milk with the lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- Remove stuffed avocados from the oven and serve drizzled with the dressing and a side salad.
Give it a go and then why not have a Mexican themed dinner party like we did? Olé!